Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2009

The Results of Brittany Robertson's Survey

Among white men:

Question 1: Are you attracted to black women?

Person 1 - Yes

Person 2 - Yes

Person 3 - Hell Yes

Person 4 - Partially

Person 5 - Sure, why not

Person 6 - Yes

Question 2: What do you find attractive about them?

Person 2 – They are different and unknown.

Person 3 – I like tan girls.

Person 5 – I am curious.

Question 3: What qualities of a black woman do you look for (Lighter, or darker, big booty etc.)?

Person 1 – Lighter skinned, big booty, longer hair with no weave.

Person 2 – I like lighter skinned black women, with a big booty, and medium length hair, I would date a woman with a weave but do not prefer it. Thin not thick.

Person 3 – I like darker women, with shorter hair and big booty, no weave. I’d like her to have a thin waist.

Person 4 – Lighter skinned, and her hair to the shoulder so it won’t get in my face. I don’t like her hair I like her hips!

Person 5 – I like lighter skinned women, with longer hair. Weave is okay, as long as it looks natural.

Person 6 – I don’t really see color. I’ve been attracted to pretty much every race at some point. She has to have a cute face but more mature looking, she can’t look really young. I guess a little thicker, and I prefer long hair. Weave is acceptable.

Question 4: Why Lighter skinned?

Person 1 – A preference

Person 2 – A preference

Person 4 – I feel more of the same skin tone.

Person 5 - A preference


Question 5: Is Boobs or Booty more attractive to you?

Person 1 - Booty

Person 5 – Boobs.

Person 6 - I’m a butt man.

Question 5: What African American female celebrity would you most say represents your type?

Person 1 – Rihanna and Halle Berry

Person 2, 4, 5 – Beyoncé

Person 3 – Serena Williams

Person 6 - Beyoncé, or Rihanna

Question 6: What African American female celebrity would you most say represents your type?

Person 1 – Rihanna and Halle Berry

Person 2, 5 – Beyoncé

Person 3 – Serena Williams

Person 4 - Beyoncé. I do like this one girl on campus, but she is Indian though. Close enough.

Person 6 - Beyoncé, or Rihanna

Question 8: Would you date a black girl or just try one, and would you bring her home to mama?

Person 1, 4, 6 – I would date her, yes.

Person 2 – I would not date her, but I would hook up with her.

Person 3 – I would date her, yes my brothers date girls who aren’t white.

Person 5 – I would date her because it doesn’t matter to me, yes.

Question 9: Would your friends care if you dated a black girl; do they normally date black women?

Person 1 – Most of my friends like black women. I feel like everyone is fairly equal today.

Person 4 - Most of them wouldn’t care. And No they do not.

Person 5 – There aren’t many black people in my town, but I think they wouldn’t mind.

Person 6 - Yes and, yes.

Among Black Men:


Question 1: Do you like black women?

Person 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 - Yes

Person 2 -Yes, every kind!

Question 2: What do you look for in regards to a black woman’s appearance?

Person 1 - Basically, gotta be attracted to her in some sort of way. I usually ain't attracted to extremely dark girls like way darker than much. If we are talking black, hair does not matter.

Person 2 – Can’t be too tall or too short; must have a nice smile, nice eyes, no nappy hair, not messy - have all the essentials. I like all shades of black women. Big booty all the way and dark colored eyes.

Person 3 – Dark skin and big butt; curvaceous body, long hair and no weave.

Person 4 – The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice. Big booty more hips than mean, clean, and presentable (no sweats and a hoodie).

Person 5 – I prefer lighter skin, and good hair; nice teeth, big booty, and shorter hair.

Person 6 – Dark, not into light skinned chicks. I like boobs more than booty. And I like short hair as long as its styled.

Question 3: What celebrity best illustrates your ideal black woman?

Person 2 - Halle Berry

Person 3 – Kelly Rowland

Person 4 – Gabrielle Union

Person 5 – Gabrielle Union

Person 6 - Tyra Banks is the ultimate woman, and Stacy Dash.

Next, I attempted to see if Black women had any reservations about Black men.


Question 1: As a black woman, do you feel that lighter, long haired women have it easier?

1, 2,3,7,8 – Yes!

4 – Yes, because they like mixed girls and they are close to it. Lighter girls are closer to white and longer hair to pull on.

5 – No, everybody have to be at the right place at the right time

6 - Yes I do, because of the media, and all we see is white women and lack girls got to be as close to white, long hair, light eyes.


Question 2: What do you look for in a black man?

1 - Fresh cut, curly hair…depends on the person

4 - Education, ambition, sense of humor, athletes (pro or not) tall/short: it doesn’t matter as long as you are above eye level.

5 – Swag

6 – Nice smile, a guy who is intelligent, no drug dealers, only legit reason to go to jail, respectful.

7 – Intelligent

8 – Intelligence besides “Shawty I like the way you blah, blah,”


Question 3: Do you prefer lighter or darker skinned men?

1, 2, 3,4,6,7 – No preference

5 – Dark

8 – In between


Question 4: Does your man need to have a six pack?

1 - No extra fat (teddy bear or gut)

2 – Four or six pack, period.

3 – Doesn’t matter

4 – No preference

5 – Cut, can’t be chunky

6 – No preference

7 – Cut

8 - Cut


Question 5: What male celebrity best illustrates your ideal black man?

1 – Will Smith

2 – Boris Kodjoe

3 – Idris Elba

4 – Dwayne Johnson

5 – Taye Diggs

7 – Rudy Gay

8 – Columbus Short


Question 6: Do you believe it is hard to find a good black man?

All said “Hell Yes” because:

· They cheat

· Want a shortie or a “bust it baby,” no wifey

· Lie

· Get too comfortable

· Cocky

· Don’t do romantic things

· Like white chicks, Latinas, and now Asians

· Don’t have their lives together

· Players

· In jail

· gay

In general, black women were pretty lenient when it came to the color, and shape of black men. In addition, all seemed frustrated with the lack of black men, as well as the “quality.” They were also more than willing to answer these questions. Looking at the answers of the men, I interviewed for who is their definition of a desired woman, not only were most light skinned but, most of them had lighter eyes. I began to remember all of the women who I grew up with that would purchase color contacts just to be noticed. All the times adults would look at babies and base their answer on why a baby was cute by if they had light eyes were light skinned, or had curly hair, which is called “good hair,” by many people. But why? Why do we put so much emphasis on these features? Is it because they are just a preference or because of a historical emphasis on lighter skin? You can be the judge.

Today's desired Black Women include: Tyra Banks, Keri Hilson, Beyonce, Gabrielle Union, Sanaa Lathan, Rihanna, Jennifer Hudason, Buffie the Body and Pussycat Doll Nicole Scherziger


1 comment:

Estelle Tran said...

This survey is pretty well presented. But I wonder how did you find these people. Did you ask them the questions in person? I wish that the writer would have written out fuller responses though.

Though I know that people who have lighter colored are often favored, as they are in Indian and Asian societies, I didn't consider that black women with longer hair had it easier. I wonder if black women have it easier in general. Of the list of men the women found attractive, I only recognized a few. Though I do not watch basketball, it occurred to me that a lot of them men named are not necessarily leading actors with names that sell movie tickets. It's an issue that many Asian men have as well. They often fulfill side-kick roles. The "and now Asians" comment raised an eyebrow as well. It's as if Asians were the last race for black men to find attractive. haha

There also might be higher expectations of men. Half of the women tersely insisted on a "cut" man or someone with a six pack. It would be great to interview black men with some of these questions you asked of women and also to have them respond to the women's answers.