Search This Blog

Monday, October 26, 2009

DJ Karazmatik Interivew

Here is a sneak peak of some of the material that will be included in the 2009 Music Issue of BlackLine...


Artist's Name: DJ Karazmatik
Year: Part-time student (Sophomore)
Major: health Information Management

1. When did you realize that music was your passion?
“I have always liked music. Back in high school, I use to break dance. I was in the school band. I played drums. So I guess you could say ever since high school.

2. If you were stranded on a desert island and were allowed to bring three musical albums, which ones would you bring?

• The Roots debut Album - Do You Want More
• Bob Marley - Roots and Reggae
• Common Sense- Chocolate For Water

2b. Who are your musical influences?
Since I am a DJ I am inspired my other DJs. I respect DJ Jazzy Jeff because he has been around for a minute and he is tight…really tight! DJ Khaled because he was in my shoes at one point in time and, now take a look at where he is at. He use to DJ for a non-profit underground station before he became well known and he linked up with Fat Joe and that was it. I know there are a lot more but those two are the ones that are coming to my head now.

3. Do you have any recent work that the public can listen to? Where can we find it?
Yes, tune into WPTS 92.1 Hip-hop Meltdown on Fridays at 7-9pm. I am also working on the best of Rocky Fontaine CD right now. He is from Philly but right he lives in Atlanta. He is working with the Corner Boys. It should be dropping around thanksgiving. I will probably be also working with B Brixx. He is a local artist here in Pittsburgh.

4. What is your favorite song and why?
“I Know You Got Soul” by Rakim. Every time it comes on, I have to sing it word for word. It just makes you feel!

5. How would you define your musical style?
Very eccentric because when I am actually spinning discs at a party I play ALL musical formats. You that I will give people a party. I hate doing parties where there is just one genre of music.

6. What strategies do you use to market your music?
Street promotion, networking, and talking to people. Basically just getting out there in city.

7. What projects can we expect from you in the future?
Expect to have the Hip Hop Meltdown mixtape series. Also B Brixx and Rocky Fontaine.

8. Is there a Hip Hop/R&B scene in Pittsburgh?
There is but it is not as big as other city.

9. How do you feel about the current state of hip hop?
Right now, I feel that the current state of hip hop is becoming more profound because now everybody is using hip hop. It is in commercials, ads. The music is taking a shift now. We are getting away from all the dancing and catch tunes to people actually putting out good music again.

10. What is your ultimate goal/dream in regards to your music?
To become successful enough to support my family and to be able to provide an outlet for up and coming artist."

No comments: