Search This Blog

Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Hair Journey: Grow it Girl


By: Anna Nwokelo

Grow It Girl is the first book written by Rhea Santangelo, a Pitt alumna and 2011 PharmD candidate. The book was mentioned in a previous article written about Santangelo, “Love and Basketball at Pitt” [Black Love/Black History 2011], but here is your chance to learn more about it!

What is Grow It Girl about, and what inspired you to write it?
Grow it Girl is the true story of how I learned to care for my hair after most of it broke off during my freshman year of college (and how I got it to grow to lengths it had never previously reached – halfway down my back!). I was inspired to write the book after people I hadn’t seen in awhile (including those who had doubted my methods when I started taking better care of my hair) began to ask me for advice on hair care. It occurred to me that the topic would probably be of interest to many people. I thought that the best way to capture and share all of the information I had gained was to write a book?
When did it dawn on you that you needed to take better care of your hair?
When I returned home from college after my freshman year with a head full of short, damaged hair, I knew it was time to take action. I did not want to cut all of my hair off and start over in my quest for healthy hair, so I had only one option – learn how to nurse it back to health through research, trial, and error.
How were you able to learn how to do this, even in the midst of the stresses of college?
I spent an entire summer reading books, forums, and product reviews regarding African American hair care. I tried a variety of methods to care for my hair throughout the summer until I figured out what I could make work for me during the school year.
What kinds of difficulties did you face?
Once I returned to college that fall, I faced many obstacles. Realistically, at first it was a challenge to fit good hair care into my busy schedule. Also, I encountered many doubters who tried to discourage me from continuing with my new, non-traditional hair regimen.
Is there any quick advice you can offer to girls looking to improve their hair health?
Learn to fit hair care into your normal schedule. For example – deep condition while you do some homework, or make it a habit to moisturize your hair nightly before bed.
Use common sense when it comes to hair care. Reducing the amount of heat exposure and the use harsh styling tools will result in stronger, healthier hair.
Read the book, which includes a complementary journal full of quick tips for healthier hair!
Where will we be able to get a copy of your book?
The book is currently available online, at: www.lulu.com/spotlight/grow_it_girl
Later this month, it will also be available in the campus bookstore (The Book Center), located at: 4000 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

1 comment:

*Meisha Brown* said...

This was a great article! A friend told me about the book so I bought it and have been using some of Ms Santangelo's suggestions. Friends and family are already noticing the change in my hair. I am also using the journal in the book to document what is working for me. I will definitely do alot of air-drying this summer, among a few other things.