Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

On the Come Up: Chyron




By: Kevin Murray
Kobbie “Chyron” Turkson is a freshman marketing major from Washington, D.C. Despite his knack for business, he is better known on campus for his musical ability.

Chyron is a rapper who has already achieved much success since arriving at
Pittsburgh. At the beginning of the first semester, he performed at Mr. Smalls Theatre, where he opened the show for Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and the Wu Tang Clan. He also competed in WPTS’s Hip-Hop Battle for the opportunity to open the B.o.B. concert.

Chyron came in second place, despite being the crowd favorite. His diverse fan base can be easily attributed to his unique sound of music. He combines quick metaphors, subject-matter relevant to his everyday life, and stories/messages that we can all relate to with smooth beats, the majority of which he produces himself. Chyron’s ability to sing, play the piano, and play the drums (a self-taught skill) adds to his arsenal of musical talent. He uses these skills in his songs quite often, which is why he doesn’t consider himself a rapper. Instead he perceives himself as “a hip-hop musician with a different sound.” It is no wonder, then, that his influences are Lupe Fiasco, Drake, John Legend, and Musiq Soulchild.

This is very evident on his mixtape, The Chyronicles: Visions From Space. It is available to download for free on Hotnewhiphop.com, where it reached the position of number 23 among the up & coming artists section.

Chyron has a new mixtape on the way, and will be performing at several events on and off of campus, so be sure to be on the lookout for him!

Where did the name Chyron come from?
I had an alias before that but I didn’t really like it so I told my friends I brought to the studio I wanted a new one so we brained stormed for a little and then we found a greek name online that meant “wise poet” and I liked it and it ended up being my name with a few spelling modifications.
How did you first get started with music?
I’ve been singing since I was about 5 and when I was about 12 my dad set up the studio in the basement of my house to record his pastoral tapes. I took full advantage of the opportunity and started recording my own songs.
How did you get the great opportunity to open for Bone Thugs & Harmony?
When I came to Pitt my friend Ryan Zeh who lives on my floor introduced me to Danny Hickton, a young entrepreneur who started Ground Zero Records. He was the one who got me booked for the Bone Thugs Show.
What has been the best part of your rap career so far?
The amount of people that my music has reached at Pitt. I’m constantly approached by people who have heard my music but haven’t actually met me in person.
Do you enjoy singing or rapping more?
I was a singer before I knew I could rap but I don’t know which one I enjoy more now, as long as I’m getting to do my thing it’s all good with me. I wouldn’t classify myself as a rapper, I’m more of a hip-hop artist with an R&B foundation and I’m doing my best to integrate them. I can’t imagine having one without the other in my music.
What is your favorite thing about music?
My favorite thing is the about music is the fact that I can spend an entire day lost in the music of a project I’m working on. Music is my only way of escaping all the problems and worries of the world.
What are your goals?
My biggest goal is to really make something of myself and not just be another kid trying to make music. I feel like nowadays in hip-hop anybody can make a song and create a dance and become famous. I want my music to be recognized for because it is original, not cliché. I’m just trying to make music that has a purpose and make my momma proud.
So what’s next for Chyron?
I’m performing at Mr. Smalls lounge again for a hip-hop showcase on April 2nd. I’m also working on a new mixtape and I plan on finishing it this summer so look out for that because is gonna be something real!

Want to contact Chyron? Follow him on Twitter @ChyronKT

No comments: