Search This Blog

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dear Beyonce....Sit Down...

Before I even begin this letter let me just say that I have been a fan of yours ever since you were in Destiny's Child. I own each of your albums/DVDs and I think you are one of the greatest performers of all time. I have yet to see anyone who can sing and dance live as well as you can. That said, this is not a diss letter, this is a request: Can you please sit down???

First of all, Did you actually release "Video Phone"? Really? Did you really think you were being creative when you made a music video themed with colored guns, bright backgrounds, & camera-headed people? Did you really THINK that was okay? NO. Sit down.

"I Am...Sasha Fierce?" Are You? I thought this was supposed to be your most "personal" album to date (By the way, um...this album has been out for more than a year now. Stop puttin out singles and videos from it like it came out last month). You went and got married and then on your most "personal" album, you first release "Single Ladies"???? Okay cool...I guess you had to appeal to your fanbase (I loved the song actually), and you had to release "If I were a Boy," and "Halo." I was cool with all of this until I heard you say, "I Am Sasha Fierce is about me. It's about me opening up about things that I've never discussed before. I'm completely open which is different for me." Now, you and me both know that you are one of the most reserved celebrities on the planet, so when I heard you were going to open up I was like, "Finally!" But what did I get when I opened the disc? "Radio". "Video Phone". "Diva". Umm...I guess bragging about yourself or talking about a DJ and a video phone could be considered personable to someone who doesn't know the real definition.

TIMEOUT: While we're on the subject of true definitions and what not, I need you to take out a dictionary and look up the word "writer." Upon reading the definition, you should realize that you are NOT a writer. A writer/songwriter is someone who first off, WRITES their own music, the majority of their own music,or hell, contributes ALOT. You do not do any of these things. On most of the tracks you are listed LAST on the writers' credits, and it's not because everyone else's last name started with A and the writers were listed alphabetically. It's because you were the LAST to contribute and you probably only wrote an ad-lib here or there. Case and point: (Actually, I'll give you two) On your Bday album you say, "I wrote songs saying all of the things I wish Deena would have said in the film" and then you go right into the song "Listen." Okay, question. How come when "Listen" was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song you weren't listed as a contributor? Oh. I know why. It's because the Academy Awards only recognizes the TOP THREE contributors on a song and you weren't one of them...meaning that...you didn't write shit. (Wait, I didn't mean to curse you out Beyonce, I was just sayin...) Point number two deals with the all too memorable "Irreplaceable." At a number of performances you said, "I wrote this song for all of my ladies!" Come on B. You know Neyo wrote that song. And you know that ONCE AGAIN you were listed LAST because you only wrote the word "baby" in the song a couple of times.

BACK TO "I Am Sasha Fierce": Despite the non-deepness of the tracks, "Ave Maria" (though it sampled) was good, "Satellites" was a modern day lullaby, "Hello" & "Ego" were fire, and "Disappear" & "Halo" (Hey, you were listed first as a writer on these two tracks) were good...but not good enough. For you to say that this album revealed things about you was a lie, Beyonce. All I found out was that you allowed that voice crack at the end of "Ego" to stay on the album because you were letting go of your "perfectionist" ways. Yawn.

Sit down.

Now, I honestly do believe that you are a hardworking woman--You are constantly performing, promoting, modeling, acting, and giving interviews which is another reason you need to take a break. Your performances are always on point but recently I've noticed that they're all very similar...I swear you've performed the Single Ladies routine one hundred too many times and you soon became aware that people were noticing. So what did you do to silence the critics? You decided to embark on a low budget production (in Vegas, ironically) and turn it into an "intimate" (Can you please ask Jay-Z to get you a dictionary this Christmas?) concert DVD called, "I Am...Yours." You rearranged a lot of the songs and---
=
TIMEOUT: For the record, if I buy a ticket to your concert, I'm all for you throwing in a diff beat here or there but umm...turning "Sweet Dreams" into a slow lullaby is not something I want to see. And if I'm spending my money to see you perform, I need to see a beautiful stage and a good amount of costume changes. Didn't you make 87 million last year? I know you can afford that.

"I Am...Yours" Continued: you were closer to the audience. For the ABC special you "opened up" by finally saying Jay Z was your husband and...that's about it. Yawn.

Sit down.

These past few years have revealed you as a non human--a calculated celebrity who does no wrong, a "good girl" who can expose her body on stage but won't utter a word about her daily thoughts. (You should just stop doing interviews. Your reserved personality makes it pointless) You've become an unattainable being who oversaturates the market and it's time for you to take a seat. It's time for you to take a break, have fun, learn some life lessons so you can have something real to write about, record a new album and release it awhile from now. How much can you grow if you never have time to live without the spotlight?
Like I said earlier, this is not a diss letter, but a mere request. The days of superficial music and craziness being mislabeled as creativity are numbered. I could go on and on about the things that you have done/not done, but until I decide to write again...I've pulled out the chair...now please...

Sit Down.


Sincerely,
A Fan

No comments: